donderdag 8 maart 2012

Jane Austen and Wedgwood.


Jane Austen possessed some Wedgwood china: let’s read this extract from her letter to Cassandra Austen of the 6th June 1811:
 
On Monday I had the pleasure of receiving, unpacking and approving  our Wedgwood ware. It all came very safely and upon the whole is a good match, tho’ I think  they might have  allowed us rather larger leaves, especially in such a year of fine foliage as this. One is apt to suppose that the Woods about Birmingham must be blighted.There was no bill with the Goods- but that shall not screen them from being paid. I mean to ask Martha to settle the account. It will be quite in her way for she is just now sending my Mother a Breakfast set, from the same place. I hope it will come by the Waggon tomorrow; it is certainly what we want and I long to know what it is like: and as I am sure Martha has great pleasure in making the present,I will not have any regrets.





Jane Austen and her mother were not the only fans of Wedgwood’s wares in the Austen family. Still extant at The Jane Austen House Museum is the set of Wedgwood ware that Edward Knight, Jane’s brother ordered, exactly  as Jane Austen described it

The pattern is a small Lozenge in p
mp; it is to have the (Knight) crest austenonly/jane-austen-and-london-wedgwoods

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

JANE AUSTEN/ WEBSITES

Jane Austen

Jane Austen

trifle

trifle