zondag 29 januari 2012

In 1793 author Jane Austen celebrated her 18th birthday at the Dolphin Hotel

The Dolphin hotel is the most historic hotel in Southampton. Originally a 13th century coaching inn, guests here have included Queen Victoria and Lord Nelson. Jane Austen attended dances here and William Makepeace Thackeray wrote part of his novel 'Pendennis' whilst staying here. 
“Our ball was rather more amusing than I expected,” Jane writes . . . . “The room was tolerably full, and there were, perhaps, thirty couple of dancers . . . . It was the same room in which we danced fifteen years ago. I thought it all over, and in spite of the shame of being so much older felt, with thankfulness, that I was quite as happy now as then . . . . you will not expect to hear that I was asked to dance, but I was – by the gentleman whom we met that Sunday with Captain D’Auvergne. We have always kept up a bowing acquaintance since, and being pleased with his black eyes, I spoke to him at the ball, which brought on me this civility; but I do not know his name, and he seems so little at home in the English language, that I believe his black eyes may be the best of him.”[1] Constance Hill, Jane Austen Southampton. – Constance Hill 
janeaustensworld/the-dolphin-hotel-in-southampton-where-jane-austen-danced/

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

JANE AUSTEN/ WEBSITES

Jane Austen

Jane Austen

trifle

trifle