maandag 12 april 2010

Pride and Prejudice



Jane Austen wrote and revised Pride and Prejudice over a period of sixteen or seventeen years. Known as First Impressions, she began working on the manuscript at Steventon in 1796 but her father's attempt to have the book published in 1797 was unsuccessful. It was only when she was happily settled at Chawton that she revised the book and following the success of Sense and Sensibility, offered it to the publisher Thomas Egerton. Pride and Prejudice was published on 28th January 1813. Jane wrote to Cassandra the next day.

I want to tell you that I have got my own darling Child from London; - on Wednesday I received one copy.... I must confess that I think her (Elizabeth Bennet) as delightful a creature as ever appeared in print, and how I shall tolerate those who do not like her at least, I do not know.



Jane Austen received some favourable notices in journals but particularly delighted in collecting comments from friends and family. She was pleased to have Cassandra's approval.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

JANE AUSTEN/ WEBSITES

Jane Austen

Jane Austen

trifle

trifle